I want to do a little article on fats. Fats have a bad reputation. We have all but taken them out of the diet. As we have done that we have gotten fatter and fatter. Hmmm. Fat make the meal taste good and it fills you up. Fat is fuel.
You want to choose a variety of fat. Monounsaturated fats are olive oil and avocados. Researchers think that olive oil is the gold in the Mediterranean diet. You want Extra Virgin Olive Oil that is Cold Pressed. Olive oil changes when heated. You are better served to use this oil for uncooked meals.
Coconut oil is a very good cooking oil. You want Virgin Coconut oil. It is solid at room temperature. Coconut oil is rich in lauric acid with proven antiviral and immune boosting properties.
Saturated fats include grass fed organic beef, lamb, organic raw dairy cream, butter, and cheese. You first choice should be raw, if not then organic and free range. Eating food without hormones and antibiotics is very important to maintaining your health.
Please stay away from trans fats. They are concocted fats that are solid at room temperature. Trans fats are margarine and Crisco type fats.
They have done studies of women dieters. Women who ate saturated fat lost more weight and kept it off.
Here are 11 reasons to eat saturated fat (Dr Mercola):
- Believe it or not, saturated fats will decrease your risk of heart disease
- Build strong bones. Calcium needs saturated fat to help absorption into bone
- Protect you live from alcohol and medications (like acetaminophen)
- Healthy brain: which is mainly made up of fat and cholesterol.
- Healthy lungs: the alveoli sacs have a coating that is 100% made of saturated fat, may help you breath better
- Boost your immune system
- Saturated fat is the preferred fuel for your heart, brain and any energy expenditure
- Antiviral properties
- Can help prevent cavities and stop plaques
- Saturated fat will actually lower cholesterol levels
- They can protect the genes and prevent cancer
Enjoy your fat. 🙂